Email link

carlherring62@gmail.com

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Final Blog Assignment

This semester I have had the opportunity to use many different tools that have allowed me to become more technologically literate. I have learned how to blog, and to follow blogs of other teachers that are already in the field. I have also got to learn other forms of technology that I plan on using in the classroom like; I tunes, I tunes U, Google Earth, Google Presentations, ACCESS, ALEX, Timeline Toast, and Twitter. I have also learned how to create podcasts, and how to develop my Personal Learning Network. These all are great tools for future teachers to use in the classroom. Also we have learned to use Vocarro, Delicious,and Picasa. This has been a very busy semester, but I have learned a lot. Before I took EDM 310 I have almost no experience in any one of these fields of technology, and now I have seen ho useful it can be to me as a future teacher. Teachers in the "modern era" must be technology literate, and give their students the skills that they need to be successful with technology. It is important for our students to be successful with technology, because their future jobs will be reliant on technological skills.

If there was one thing that I wished I had learned how to do was to make videos, and import them onto the Internet. I think that would be really cool to have a film of you on your blogs introducing yourself rather than a Vacarro message. I'm not even sure if that is possible, but I think it would be very cool.

I enjoyed learning everything in this class, but somethings were more fun to learn than others. I thought that there were things that we learned that would help us to become better teacher, and stuff that didn't. Like learning how to put your Earth Project on your blog page. Google Earth is definitely a tool that I plan on using in the classroom, but I don't see the point of putting in my blog other than looks since you can save it Google Earth. I really enjoyed learning about ACCESS, ALEX, following teachers blogs, and comments for kids because I knew saw that doing so would directly help me become a better teacher.

I was really excited about making podcasts. I thought that your project turned out really well for it being everybody's first podcast. I was also impressed with the possibilities that where there with tools such as Timeline Toast, and Google Earth. With Google Earth I got to look at my home in Citronelle, and I thought that was really awesome.

The most bored that I would get in this class, was while watching 30 minute films to write two paragraphs about. Most of the films where very informative, but after so long I would lose interest in them. The most interesting parts where the presentations, projects, following teachers, and comments for kids. I really enjoyed doing the comments for kids every week because they were so smart, and doing such a great job.

I really enjoyed this class, but if I could change anything about the class, it would be to do more stuff inside the class. During the week we could do more projects while the blogs, and other commenting could be homework. That way everybody in the class isn't scrambling to to do them late in the semester. It would be nice to learn Twitter one week, then Timeline Toast the next week..... I understand that you want us to be more responsible learners, but doing them within the class keeps everybody more organized and productive. Also if there are problems they are easier to fix then, than wait until the next class period to ask about the problem.

When I started this class I was probably technology illiterate. I am now partically literate, but I have a solid foundation that will allow me to learn more stuff about technology in the coming years. Thanks to this class I will be a better teacher, because I will incorporate technology into my teaching.

I will improve my skills in technology until I graduate. I will continue to Twitter, Blog, and to build my PLN. I will do this because I want to be a successful teacher that has contacts with outside of my region to look too for ideas, and advice.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of students learned to make video in EDM310. Give it a try. The Flip camera (HD 2 hr version $129 after discounts from Amazon) makes it easy!

    I am amazed at how short the attention spans of students are these hays. 30 minutes? In college I had to read HOURS of text for every class every week. But I didn't have to walk 10 miles in the snow to get to school!

    Glad you have moved toward technological literacy. Keep it up and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl,

    You have impressed me with how you embraced technology this term.

    ReplyDelete